Rental Policy & Process
If you haven’t yet had the opportunity to visit an apartment that you are interested in renting, please call us at (207) 370.8841 before submitting your application.
In some instances we may not process applications without a holding deposit (some exceptions apply, please call with questions.)
We evaluate every rental application in the following manner: You must complete and submit a rental application along with a non-refundable $20 application fee. We will then run your application through our screening company, which will check your credit report, background, and rental references to confirm that you fully meet our criteria. If you do not qualify, we will deny your application. If you meet our criteria, we will approve your application and send you an email with a sample lease attached.
To qualify for an apartment you must meet the following criteria:
- Income. Your gross monthly income must be at least two and a half times the monthly rent (i.e. if the rent is $800, you must prove at least $2,000 for your gross monthly income). If you are unemployed and/or don’t make the required amount, you will be required to have a cosigner (see cosigner details below).
- Rental History. You must have at least two years of recent (in the past three years), satisfactory rental requirements. If you do not have two full years of recent references, you may be required to have a cosigner. If you have ever been evicted and/or sued for any serious lease violations, or owe another landlord money, your application may be denied.
- Credit History/Background Check. We run a credit and background check on every person over the age of 18 residing in our residences. There is a non-refundable $20 application fee. Your security deposit is dependent on the outcome of the application (variable dependent on all aspects of the application, though everyone should be prepared to pay a full month’s rent for security deposit). If a felony of any kind or a criminal charge/misdemeanor involving dishonesty/violence or related subject matter is found in your background check, or you are on a Sex Offender Registry, your application may be denied. If your credit is below 620 or you have no credit history, you will be required to have a cosigner. If your credit is 500 or below, your application may be denied.
- If Cosigner is Necessary. If you do not meet one or more of the above mentioned criteria, you may still qualify for an apartment by having a third party guarantee your lease. In order for a cosigner to qualify, he/she must have a credit score of above 680 and provable income of at least four times the monthly rent. The same screening process will be done for the cosigner, which means there is an additional non-refundable $20 application fee.
- Move-in Costs. We require First Month’s Rent, Last Month’s Rent and a Security Deposit before moving in.
- Dishonesty. If we find that you have been dishonest on any part of your application we will deny your application immediately. Please be sure to list all rental references on your application and answer all questions honestly.
- Pets. We will gladly rent to residents who have up to two pets if they pass the above criteria and agree to the terms of the Pet Addendum. A pet security deposit of up to $250 per pet may be charged. If a tenant wishes to obtain a pet after moving in, a writen request must be submitted indicating the type of pet. BlackAcdre must give approval prior to obtaining a new pet.
Equal Opportunity Housing Provider:
We fully comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act. We do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or national origin. We also comply with all state and local fair housing laws.
We update our list of apartments as each apartment becomes available and/or as each apartment is rented. An apartment that’s available in the morning may not still be available later that same day. We will not hold an apartment for any prospective tenant without a deposit equal to one month’s rent and a completed application.
To prevent overcrowding and undue stress on plumbing and other building systems, we restrict the number of people who may reside in an apartment. In determining these restrictions we adhere to all applicable fair housing laws. All advertised prices are based on one tenant per living space. An additional resident, per living space, may reside in the apartment, with BlackAcre Property Management’s approval, at an additional cost.
Dishonesty or inappropriate/threatening behavior towards any BlackAcre Property Management employee, agent, or resident during the application process will be grounds for denial.
Pets/Animals must be licensed and immunized in accordance with applicable regulations: Dog owners must provide a Veterinarian letter confirming: neutered or spayed, breed, age and weight, vaccinated against rabies and distemper. Cat owners must provide a Veterinarian letter confirming: neutered or spayed, vaccinated against feline leukemia, rabies and distemper.
A dog interview may be required before we can accept an application for an apartment, and must include the owner and pet(s)/animal(s) along with the requested documentation. **We may decline a dog based on excessive barking, unpleasant demeanor, or any other reason BlackAcre deems appropriate.** BlackAcre may take a photo of owner and dog. Dogs must be fully approved before being allowed on the premises.
The following dog breeds are NOT allowed (NO EXCEPTIONS). Any full or mix of: Boxer, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, German Shepherd, Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull, American Bulldog, Bull Mastiff, Dalmatian, Akita, Husky, Shar Pei or any other breed that Management deems unacceptable.
All dogs must be at least 1 year of age, as shown on veterinary records.
No more than 2 pets/animals are allowed per apartment. Additionally, no pet/animal offspring are permitted.
The resident will not allow the pet(s)/animal(s) to become a nuisance to other residents which includes, but is not limited to, biting, excessive barking, and whining.
Cats and dogs must be housebroken; we strictly prohibit any use of pee pads.
Pets/Animals are not allowed outside the apartment unless on a leash (in accordance with local leash laws) and under control of Resident or Resident’s designated responsible person. Pets/Animals must not be left alone or tied to any fixed object, at any time, outside the apartment. Animal Control will be called to remove any pets/animals left unattended on the property.
Resident will be held responsible for any damage or injury the pet(s)/animal(s) cause(s) to the apartment, the community or any BlackAcre Property Managemnt staff, residents, visitors or guests, and shall promptly pay for all costs incurred by BlackAcre Property Management or any resident as a result of the pet’s/animal’s actions.
Apartments with pets/animals are subject to periodic inspections. A 24 hour (minimum) notice will be provided.
Pets/Animals may not cause any unpleasant odors in the resident’s apartment or any other part of the building. Cats must be provided with adequate size litter boxes and litter must be changed regularly and disposed of in a sanitary manner in accordance with the buildings trash system and rules. Resident is responsible for any extermination fees incurred as a result of keeping a pet/animal in the apartment.
Pets/Animals must not interfere with the job function of any BAPM staff member or contractor at any time. Upon maintenance request, dogs must be restricted to an area not affected by the service request.
If a pet/animal shows any aggression (including, but not limited to, growling, barking, and/or biting) BAPM will terminate the lease with a Five Day Notice.
Pet(s)/Animal(s) may not interfere with BAPM’s ability to show and re-lease the apartment after the resident has given their written notice to leave. If the pet(s)/animal(s) interfere with BAPM’s ability to re-lease the apartment, the resident will be responsible for a maximum of one month’s rent after vacating the premises or until the apartment is rented, whichever is less.
Any visiting guest accompanied with pet(s)/animal(s) must comply with the terms of this agreement and may not have an extended stay of more than 24 hours without prior BAPM approval.
Pet/animal owners must provide the name, address and telephone number of an emergency contact person whom agrees to assume immediate custody of pet(s)/animal(s) in the case of unavailability, serious illness or death of the owner. If contact does not assume immediate custody of dog upon request, BAPM will make arrangements to have the pet(s)/animal(s) removed by local animal control personnel. BAPM will not be held responsible for any expenses incurred with removal of any pet/animal.
Any violation of this addendum allows the Lease to be terminated by BAPM by five (5) day notice in writing to the resident as per the lease. Breech of Pet/Animal Addendum: Upon receiving written notice from Lessor that the pet/animal is deemed undesirable, for whatever reason, if the resident should keep the pet/animal on the property, this shall be deemed a breach of the Lease, and is cause for eviction upon (5) days written notice. The Lessor will require possession of the leased premises and collect all damages as provided in the Lease and this Pet/Animal Addendum.